RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Tens of thousands of jobs remain unfilled across the Triangle – more than 64,000 in fact – according to new data. And across North Carolina there are many more open jobs than applicants, reflecting a national labor mismatch with more than 11 million jobs going unfilled.
Wake County has about 42,496 job openings advertised online, NCWorks labor market data showed as of Sunday evening.
Durham County and Orange County each total 15,941 and 6,145 job openings, respectively.
More broadly, there are 254,430 job openings and 162,513 candidates across North Carolina, which puts the number of candidates per job at about 0.64.
IBM, tech firms, healthcare providers looking to hire thousands in Triangle, but …
Data from the NC Department of Commerce tells a similar story, with 0.7 job seekers per opening in the state’s North Central Prosperity Zone, which includes the Triangle region.
Thousands of local jobs were added on national job boards last week. Adzuna, for example, shows 4,385 more jobs in Wake County and 3,966 more jobs in Raleigh from a week ago. Dice.com, a tech-sector job board, shows Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill added more than 500 new jobs each over the last week.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Search Sites
Here’s an overview of the number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 37,165 jobs (+4,385 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 19,793 (+3,966)
- ⇑ Durham County: 9,942 (+587)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 15,132 (+544)
- ⇑ Durham: 14,910 (+569)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 14,646 (+574)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 40,284 jobs in the Research Triangle Park area (-98)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 15,657 (+13)
- ⇑ Durham: 8,051 (+53)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,221 (+10)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 26,842 (-77)
- ⇓ Durham: 12,372 (-50)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,659 (+35)
- Manpower (20-mile radius):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 20 (+1)
- ⇑ Durham: 16 (+3)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 14 (+3)
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 34,843 (-904)
- ⇓ Durham: 13,325 (-127)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 3,494 (-420)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (220 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,676 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (284 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 66 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 27 results in Durham and 15 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Two new jobs were posted last week:
- Durham-based nonprofit FHI 360 is hiring an associate director of knowledge management and strategic communications.
- Honeywell seeks a paid media marketing specialist in Raleigh.
Looking for work? These 12 upcoming jobs fairs offer opportunities
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 212 jobs at 30 companies.
A few jobs were posted in the last seven days:
- ProcesssMaker, a Durham-based developer of workflow automation software, added a listing for a remote architect/senior Laravel software engineer.
- Durham-based payments software provider Spreedly is hiring a remote vendor relations manager.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius, which continues to expand hiring at its Durham headquarters, seeks a senior machine learning engineer and a customer success operations manager.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
From boots on the ground to drug giant Pfizer: Army vet shares his career transition
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs, with 632 openings at 29 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Saint Augustine’s University in Raleigh is looking for an assistant professor of computer information systems.
- Citrix added listings for a deep learning technology leader, a sales development representative, a senior human resource generalist, a senior UX research analyst and a senior instructional designer in Raleigh.
- Burt’s Bees is hiring a remote e-commerce marketing manager.
- Medicago seeks a senior global supply planner in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University in Durham seeks an academic advisor, a property security officer, a human resources specialist, a materials science postdoctoral scientist and an LGBTA resource center coordinator.
- Blue Cross NC is hiring for several positions in Durham, including staff actuary, senior strategic advisor in healthcare strategy, category and vendor manager, condition care health coach, pharmacy services specialist, enterprise business analyst, actuarial analysts, strategic sourcing advisory manager, Medicare sales consultant, business process consultant, account implementation specialist, senior strategic advisor, senior product developer, senior infrastructure design engineer, healthcare consultant, senior corporate cost management analyst, financial accounting manager, subsidiary reporting manager, accountant, senior decision support consultant, DSNP segment lead, senior data and analytics platform engineer, portfolio management director, and interns across finance, business strategy, behavioral health, actuary, underwriting, marketing and communications, education and IT.
- Truist added postings across its Triangle-area locations. Open positions include scrum master, recruiter, brokerage client service associate, FC governance specialist, commercial insurance lines account manager, business analyst, insurance administrative assistant, insurance commercial lines account manager (remote option), personal lines account manager, recruiter, cybersecurity software engineer, relationship banker, teller/senior teller and treasury solutions consultant.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) added listings for a promotions coordinator and an editorial content producer in Raleigh.
- Bank of America added listings for relationship bankers in Durham and Cary.
- William Peace University in Raleigh seeks an adjunct professor of exercise and sport science and a head coach of strength and conditioning.
- Self-Help Credit Union is hiring a servicing default management associate, an assistant general counsel and compliance team leader, an insurance specialist, and a mortgage servicing representative in Durham.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since Sept. 6), over a dozen new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Grant writing specialist/scientific consultant at Eva Garland Consulting in Raleigh
- Technical production specialist and aseptic filling technicians at Grifols in Clayton
- Research associate at Parion Sciences in Durham
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. added several positions at its Triangle locations, including associate operations director, incoming quality manager, lead operations technician, senior engineering and maintenance technician, specialist, operations technician, manufacturing automation specialist, associate operations director, and senior specialist in vaccine technical operations.
- Clinical research specialist, postdoctoral associate and research scientist at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- IHC technologist at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Project manager at BioAgilytix in Durham
- Lab manager at Life Edit Therapeutics in RTP
- Statistical programmer, senior research specialist, statistical research scientist and remote biostatisticians at Rho in Chapel Hill
- Lab assistant and associate clinical operations director at BridgeBio Gene Therapy in Raleigh
- Local staffing firm Frankel Staffing Partners is adding a junior biotech/pharma recruiter to its team in Raleigh. It also posted a few job listings for its clients:
- Remote clinical project manager at an oncology CRO
- Associate analytical chemist at an RTP-based pharmaceutical company
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
No new jobs were added to the site last week. Here’s a recap of openings from our last Jobs Report:
- SMS marketing software provider Tatango is looking to hire a software developer in Raleigh.
- Industrial PC manufacturer OnLogic seeks a senior e-commerce developer and a senior product manager in Cary.
- Google is hiring a software engineer focusing on machine learning system infrastructure in the Raleigh-Durham area.
- Supply chain software firm Optricity Corporation is hiring a software developer in Durham.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 138 positions at 27 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s new on the site over the last seven days:
- Raleigh startup Pendo added listings for a performance email content creator, a partner marketing manager and an office manager.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider in Raleigh, added remote positions for a clinical operations consultant, a clinical operations senior consultant, and a clinical operations development senior consultant.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Sept. 7) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire in late-August that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area and anticipates another 10 new hires across sales, product development and marketing before the end of the year. The firm already has about 35 employees in the Triangle area.
Its latest openings are for a product marketing manager and a professional services manager. Read more and apply here.
The boost in hiring comes as the company just made the Inc. 5000 list and is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says, “This level of growth isn’t as common in a more mature company, but we are actively hiring to continue a high growth trajectory and support the international program and global engagement priorities of higher education, both in North Carolina and nationwide.”
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team in Durham. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Senior product manager
- Product manager
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Amazon Career Day: Sept. 15, 12 p.m. (online)
This free virtual event gives job seekers the opportunity to hear from recruiting experts and book a career coaching session with Amazon recruiters. Amazon is hiring at its warehouse sites in Durham, Raleigh, Garner and Morrisville.
Amazon (55,000), Walmart (20,000) boost hiring plans despite COVID ‘Delta’
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?: Sept. 29, 9:30-10:15 a.m. (online)
This webinar will lead job seekers and employers through a tour of Premier Virtual, the platform NC TECH uses to host its online career events, including its upcoming Virtual Tech Job Expo on Oct. 20.
NC State Ag & Sciences Virtual Career Expo: Sept. 29, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
Hosted by NC State’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Sciences, this virtual career fair will gather over 1,000 students from 82 undergraduate and graduate programs to meet with employers.
CRO Career Conversations: Oct 13. 8, 5:30-7 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, attendees will hear from contract research organization (CRO) industry professionals as they discuss their career paths and responsibilities.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Student Job Fairs and Career Events
NC State University:
UNC Chapel Hill:
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: